Sunday, February 21, 2010

intercultural observation

It is very interesting to learn about different cultures and be exposed to them. Sometimes I ponder if Singapore does have a strong cultural trait. Just what could we be remembered as? Kiasu? Personally, I think that’s just something that is blown up and made use to want to create that Singaporean identity. Maybe Singlish? It’s something that Singaporeans exclusively speak and I understand that many foreigners when first exposed to singlish do feel intrigued by it. Speaking singlish has become such an integrated part of us that it’s rather difficult to find a Singaporean who does not speak it. While to some it is interesting, others perceive it as a broken-form of English. While some criticisms of singlish hold, it is undeniable that it is unique to Singapore. A friend who had gone on an exchange to Canada shared an interesting experience at a cafeteria. A large group of Nus students were chatting happily at the cafeteria where beside them seated a few Canadians. After some time, the Canadians actually found their conversation so interesting that they approached the students to strike a friendly conversation and to find out where were they from. Then, they learnt that they were actually Singaporeans and what they had heard was singlish. They were pretty amused by it and spontaneously learnt to use it as well.

I would like to share this experience in Japan. I remembered this particular day we were looking for somewhere to have our lunch. We gave the packed restaurants a miss and finally came to a restaurant that was fairly quiet. We made orders and chatted happily. The next moment, a group of about 8 men walked into the restaurant. As we were sitting on those long tables, they also shared the table with us and were seated with us. We then became surrounded by them, both besides and opposites. When their food came, they started slurping their noodles real loud. Frankly, I didn’t quite feel comfortable with that. Imagine the whole group slurping away, though I do know this culture of theirs, it still wasn’t something pleasant to face to. They had their meals in a very hearty manner and finished up real fast. Also, they all ordered beer to drink. They became even more noisy and chatted very loudly. It came to a point that it was so difficult for the person opposite me to hear what I was saying. I became quite displeased for the fact that our conversations became impossible because of the noise they were making and I think my family felt quite uncomfortable in that situation so we also finished up fast and went off.

While I respect and understand the slurping culture, but when I experienced it myself and furthermore with such a big group of people, that experience wasn’t something very pleasant because it has been a habit that when we dine, minimal sounds are made especially so when we drink soups, for drinking too loudly is perceived as being rude and unsightly. So this slurping culture of the Japanese though was amusing to me, it also wasn’t an exactly enjoyable one.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Germaine,

    I agree that sometimes even with respect and understanding of another cultural trait, we can be a bit annoyed or unforgiving in reality. To some, thay may find it interesting but to others, they may seem annoying. This slurping culture reminds me of my trip to Singapore River during Chinese New Year. While we were queueing up to buy some food, I found that there are some Mainland Chinese who do not have the habit of queueing up.They simply stand around the stall and once the food is ready, they pay and go. I noticed that those who have queued up(including me)glared at them with displeased faces but since it is Chinese New Year, everyone just keeps quiet as harmony breeds wealth.

    Queueing up is a cultural trait in Singapore. Though it is at times a hassle, it creates order which is especially important when queueing up at this River Hongbao on a scorching afternoon.

    Cheers,
    Serene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Germaine,
    I would also have felt uncomfortable and displeased in such an environment. I think the main reason would be that I enjoy conversing with someone while eating. Moreover, you described the men as seeming rather intimidating. As tourists, I often feel that we rarely get immersed into the culture of another country. Thus I would say that this was one good opportunity to really sense how they really behave in a social setting with a group of friends. However, I do think that not all of them are like that, and some of them may also enjoy some peace and quiet at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Germaine,

    I personally get quite annoyed by slurping too. In this case, where the slurping is part of a group's culture, the appropriate thing to do is to respect them and just carry on with the meal.

    In Singapore, however, the same action would reflect badly on the individual. I remember attending social etiquette classes in secondary school, where I was taught to eat quietly and not talk with food in my mouth.

    This contrast in table manners shows that etiquette can vary between cultures. Hence, it is important to respect their way of dining, even though we were taught otherwise in our own culture.

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Germaine, for this post. The two examples of observations you provide are both interesting. In both cases though, you seem to present your viewpoint only. For instance, you heard slurping from the Japanese men. What did they hear from you? A deafening silence? What might they have thought?

    Your post would have been enhanced if you had mentioned what you think the Canadians thought about the group in their midst, and then what the Japanese might have thought about you and your family. In our travels and interactions with others one key to effectiveness is the ability to put ourselves in others' shoes. This is a skill that I have been working on for years and still have a hard time with. The first step is probably the realization that we aren't always the center of the social universe.

    ReplyDelete